Memories Page 16

The fondest memories of my younger times are of my times in DC.  I worked for the FBI Ident Division at 2nd and D streets, SW.  When I arrived in DC in 1953 at the ripe old age of 19, I knew absolutely nobody in DC.  I lived for a very shor time at Little's Rooming House on East Capital Street, then moved to Kanes Rooming House on Massachusetts Avenue near Dupont Circle.  Prior to going to DC, I had held three jobs at my hometown of Marietta, Ohio, and I became so bored with not knowing anybody and with nothing to do (aside from sight seeing) that I took a part time job working at the Whelan Drug Store beneath the casino at 14th & H Streets downtown.  I attended a lot of stage shows at the Capitol Theater on F Street.  I met and spoke for a while with ex-President Harry Truman one morning on my way to work, used to meet and converse with Senator Theodore Green of Rhode Island quite regularly on the streetcar to Glen Echo (Cabin John).  He used to ride the streetcar on Saturdays while he composed his speeches. 

 I lived for a while at McLean Gardens up on Wisconsin Avenue (I believe) and since I worked the 3:30 to midnight shift, would ride down to the Smithsonian Institute and spend sometimes three or four hours there before work.  I still remember being able to buy a weekly streetcar pass that entitled me to ride anywhere I wanted any day of the week.  Then I met my wife at work, and began to spend a lot of time with her.  Shortly thereafter, my brother and his wife also joined the Bureau, and we would all spend weekends at the Chesapeake Bay.  What grand times we had out there!  In those days, all males were susceptible to the draft and I knew my number must be pretty close, so I went into the Marine Corps, married my wife on boot camp leave from Parris Island, and was later stationed at Henderson Hall over in Arlington, near my duty assignment at Headquarters Marine Corps in the Navy Annex Building.  We stayed in DC until I got out of the Marines and left to go elsewhere and carve out our lives in other parts of the country.   You do us all a favor with your 'Memories' page.  Thanks a bunch.

RGumm Jackson, Tennessee

Thanks for a beautiful site.


I was born in DC in 1944, and lived mostly in Maryland. From age 2 to 8 I lived in a place near the intersection of Riggs and Ager Roads called West Hyattsville. Does anyone remember West Hyattsville? Sligo Creek ran through a field near our house. Across the creek farmers raised cows.
We then moved to Silver Spring, where I went to Montgomery Hills Jr. High School. One of my classmates there was Ben Stein. I was amazed to see that someone mentioned Pop Dietles tavern. I used to walk by it every day on my way to school. Some of my favorite DC memories are WOOK radio and WDON radio where Don Dillard played the wildest Rock N Roll ever. (Remember Don and Dewey doing "Jungle Hop"?) I also remember the Peoples Drug Stores where my Mom would buy me chocolate shakes with lumps of ice cream still in them, and Gifford's Ice Cream Shop, the Neisner's 5 & 10 in Silver Spring, and Waxy Maxie's Quality Record Store on 7th Street near Griffith Stadium.


And does anyone remember Tru-Ade? It was non-carbonated soda the came in either grape or orange in little, probably 7 oz. bottles. The orange was great.


Thanks again for a great site.


Dan Bogaty



I chanced upon your website searching for my old Anacostia High School, Class of '64.


Not knowing whether your memories' section is still alive or not, I take this effort to share my few DC memories.


My youthful exposure to DC lasted quite a few years -- some of it lived from Fairfax, some from Falls Church, some from Friendship, MD.  


But there were my grade 8.5 through grade13.6 years lived entirely within the confines of DC's political geography.  Most of that time was in our home two blocks from the east steps of the Capitol building.  I think my father bought this rather distressed rowhouse for some early Sixties' $15K.  We learn later that this same property is now $2 million.  Oh well.  Just the same, it was a skinny little stretched-out long trailer.  In brick.


I recall hearing the Marine Band playing on the Capitol steps while we sat in our tiny back yard.  And that memorable day when our whole family simply walked over to witness President Kennedy's inauguration in the cold snow.


And that so much sadder simple walk to the lying in state under the Rotunda so few years later.


There was some Protestant Church nearby [close to the LOC] where suddenly-President Johnson was visiting that Sunday morning and we were outside the church waiting to catch a glimpse of him when others with radios in the crowd told us of the murder of the Lee Harvey Oswald fellow and my father grabbed us all and took us pronto back to the house.  Those days were a bit confusing for a lot of us.


My brother and I volunteered to detail our neighbor's car to get it ready for him to go to the White House for some of the funeral ceremonies.  He was some US Representative.  Maybe Iowa.  I forget.


There was a Catholic church directly in front of our house on D St. and I remember my grandmother sitting at the front window looking at the nuns walking into the church and mumbling something about the Pope and now this Kennedy fellow coming to the White House.  I always thought her comments quite odd as she was, alone, so alone, the ONLY Democrat ever in our family!


Around the corner from our home were several favorite family haunts and private 'Bro and Me' sanctuaries we visited clandestinely coming back from school on the streetcar.


Family approved sites were primarily the Sampan Cafe on Pennsylvania Ave. not too far from 12th St as I recall.  A pleasant ritual for the family.  And still the only Chinese restaurant I've ever frequented that served French bread with the meal.  Of course, dessert was ice cream as only a Chinese restaurant can serve ice cream -- crunchy with re-frozen blobs of melted ice in it.  The place was sill in business forty years later when my Bro (in some quite strange moment of nostalgia) went back there with his wife.


Bro and I had Angelos on Pa. Ave. at 2nd, SE which served atrocious greasy hamburgers and even more disgusting greasy French fries.  This pastime enjoyment we kept from our parents, of course.  We would decline to eat at our school cafeterias and save up for the treat at Angelos.


For us there was the Trover Shop just down the street.  A book store kind of place.  Where I recall my first (and I truly believe my only) descent into the criminal world when I shoplifted a nudist magazine.  It was probably difficult for a tenth grader to purchase a nudist magazine at that time, no doubt. [In all fairness to me, I add.]


Around the corner was the Charles DuBois grocery store.  I always loved the name of the place.  I believe now that he and his family were Pieds Noirs from Algeria.  They were very nice to us and I learned to love to eat plums from their fruit bins.  Another careful savings from our lunch money at school.


I quit now.


As with so many of us in later years, so many memories.


Jim, from Florida

I have read all 9 pages of the memories of DC.  I lived on K Street, SE, which ran right into Barney Circle.  I went to St. Peter's Grade School and St. Cecelia's Academy, but I graduated from Burdick Vocational High, Allison St., NW.
I used to play CYO softball at Turkey Thicket in NE Washington. We always transferred streetcars at Union Station, so we ate the 5-cent hamburgers at Little Tavern.  We used to walk across the Sousa Bridge to Fairlawn and see the beautiful crab apple trees.  Then we would swim in the pool at Fairlawn and enjoy watching the tennis games. 
In the evenings, my girlfriends and I would walk across the 11th Street Bridge (now Martin Luther King Avenue) and shop in the little dress shops in Anacostia.  We would walk from my house to 8th and E Sts, SE, and go into Stanley's Dime Store across from the Marine Barachs and continue walking past Nessons (I think) Dimestore and all the way to Kresge's at 7th and Pennsylvania Avenue. 
My children were born in Columbia Women's Laying In Asylum in the late 1950's.  It was in Northwest Washington.   I worked for USDA for 32 years.  We would eat lunch at the Evergreen in SW Washington.  They served chicken shortcake, and it was delicious.  We also ate at the restaurants on the Wharf, and we loved the Flagship best.  They had the greatest rum buns.
Does anyone remember The Maryland Market at 13th and Pennsylvania Avenue?  I remember Stephenson's Bakery right over the bridge, and I have their recipe for butter cookies. 
There are so many wonderful memories of my childhood in Washington, DC, and reading all the other "memories" makes me feel young again.  Those were the days.
Thanks for all your hard work on this project.  I will send the site to a lot of my friends who grew up in DC.
Mary Cavanaugh Orme Duncan
Nathalie, VA  24577

Grew up in Burleith north of Georgetown before you get to Tunlaw Road. My father owned a delicatessen/restaurant at MacArthur and Dana in the 50s and 60s between the Amoco station and Barber Shop and Myers Delicatessen It later became Charlie Browns and has gone through many incarnations since then.


Best memories are of:   Georgetown playground especially the swimming pool; Halloween in Georgetown with a costume party at a local �mom & pop� store �they gave us mini loaves of Wonder Bread for our trick-or-treat bags; Glen Echo; streetcars; Mt. Pleasant Street (grandmother lived there); Woodies, Garfinkels, Kahns, Landsburg (my aunt wrapped gifts at Christmastime there); Fillmore Elementary School; “green lot” at 37th and Whitehaven (almost next door to where we lived); RKO Keiths movie theater; Calvert movie theater; taking the bus downtown with my younger brother on Saturdays he went to Coors hobby shop and bought a model car  I went to Campbells music store and bought sheet music; Little Caledonia; Pearsons drug store (Calvert Street); Avignon Freres (my mom got our birthday cakes there); Cellar Door; Key Bridge; lack of heavy security around the White House.  Best memory of all is being able to run and play without being afraid of anything in the alley behind my house where there was a beautiful weeping willow tree and lots of honeysuckle �nd better stop because I could go on forever.  I adore this website.


I am 80 now, but lived in Washington from age 2 to age 16, mainly on Capitol Hill  in the Methodist Bldg at 110 Maryland Ave., just across the street from the Supreme Court and the Capitol Grounds. 

Some memories are summarized below.  I have too many memories to put in this Email.  Would take several pages.

Would like very much to meet other DC oldies.  Is it possible to schedule a meeting of everybody to exchange remembrances ?   I would be happy to travel from Santa Barbara to DC for several days get together.


Thanks a lot for your great web site !!


Paul Edwaard Thurlow

Summary of a small fraction of memories:


Age 3 to 6:  Lived in row house ( Alexandria style) located at foot of Capitol Hill on Independence Ave.  Those houses were replaced by an office building.  Then moved to apt house on Delaware Ave one block from Independence Ave.  That was replaced by another office building.  Walked in outdoor botanic garden at East end of Mall with paths, lots of benches, potted palms in barrels, lots of pigeons to feed peanuts.  There was a small office bldg at the corner of Delaware and Independence Aves where I could look in the basement windows and see the Congressional Record going thru the printing process.  Those big high speed presses were awesome.  Also saw a big German Zeppelin flying low overhead.  Seemed about 10 blocks long and very noisy.  Parked my scooter beside the North driveway going up by the Capitol and saw a big open limo with Hoover and Roosevelt in the back seat with black silk hats.   

When I was about 8 yrs old, started wandering around the Capitol Grounds as my personal playground.  Got bags of peanuts at the Peoples Drug Store at the corner of First and Independence Ave and got the squirrels to come running from all over the Capitol Grounds and eat peanuts out of my hand.  I found a small sunken botanical grotto on the West lawn, about half way down the hill.  It was just about 15 feet by 12 feet with benches and plants.  It had a running fountain and was very humid.  Did anyone else find this grotto ? 

  Made friends with the Capitol Guards and took friends into the Capitol Rotunda to demonstrate the famous echo effect.  Liked to walk on the low red walls around the Capitol parking lot.  Moved to the Methodist Bldg at about 8  yrs.  Lost my last baby tooth while I scootered past the Supreme Court after buying and biting a frozen Milky Way from Peoples Drug Store.  On my beautiful rubber tired scooter with 12 inch wheels, ball bearings and a brake I would start at the top of the wide walk on the South capital grounds, and go whizzing down that walk at much too high a speed.  If I had hit a pebble --  well too bad. I could scoot from that walk and down the mall to the Tidal Basin in about 20 minutes !  Sometimes I parked by the Smithsonian and went in to stare at the Wright Brothers plane  and Lindbergh's plane.  If the cherry blossoms were out over the tidal basin sidewalk, some would hit me in the face as I scooted around the basin --very annoying !  

Went to Paul Jr. High and enjoyed Saturday matinees at the Tivoli theater, in walking distance down 14th St from where I lived on Colorado Ave for 3 yrs.  Then back to the Methodist Bldg and attended 1 year at McKinley Tech before being sent off to Andover Academy on a Scholarship at the age of 16.  My best friend was Billy Santelmann, son of the Conductor of the US Marine Band.  Got invited to some good concerts at the Marine Barracks as well as three evenings a week on the East Capitol Steps to hear the Army, Navy and Marine Band concerts.  Also went to the National Symphony concerts on Sunday afternoons in the North rotunda of the National Art Gallery .  I got there early to sit right behind the trumpet players so I could read their music over their shoulder while they played. 

 Worked at the Library of Congress from age 14 to age 20, first on lower level check stand, then on stack elevators, then in book receiving and segregating dept.  Trolley car system was probably the best in the world.  Could get within a couple of blocks of most areas of DC.  Weekly pass was $1.00.  The bouncy ride out to Glen Echo was great, especially with a beautiful date. Too many more happy memories to mention here.  I hope very much we can all get together in DC to spend a few days while we can still travel.  I would be happy to coordinate this if needed.  My Email address is  Phone 805-967-1964 


Debi, I found this website by trying to locate information about Wylie's Ice Cream..I love this site! I was born in 57 at Providence hospital..we lived in Four Corners..I remember Wiley's Ice Cream, and the frozen custard place down Silver Spring..borrowing $10 from my sister to get a ticket to see the Beatles in DC..fountain drinks at People's..Tops restaurant..the Charcoal House in Silver Spring..visiting my grandparents on Lebaum St in Southeast..taking 3 buses to go downtown shopping..eating at Reeve's..field trips at school going to the Wonder Bread bakery.. going grocery shopping with my parents at the A & P - my job was to get the produce weighed before we checked out..Shakey's pizza parlors..Wheaton Plaza..George Pelecanos? I remember him from high school..Korvette's department store..Jumbo Foods..Lum's Restaurant..and of all things..going to the corner drugstore with a note from my mother and 35 cents to buy her a pack of Kents or Trues! 


Hi Debi,
Just stumbled upon your site.  I thought I'd add a little and see if anyone recalls my days in the DC area on the radio.
I was born in Norfolk, Va in 1945 and after WWII, our family moved to the family hometown of Washington.
I went to Alice Paul Jr. HS and Woodrow Wilson HS on Nebraska Ave and lived nearby off of 45th and Mass., NWQ.
Toward the end of my high school years and later into college at American Unv. worked full time in broadcasting at WINX radio in Rockville where I was Bob "The Duke of" Earl for several years working morning drive, afternoon drive and evening slot form 7pm to midnight.  WINX was owned at the time by Pierre Eaton and his father.  Pierre was a dynamic guy and I wonder where he is now.  Later was hired away by WEAM onto the "Weam-Team," where I stayed for several years prior to moving onto Boston. AT WEAM, I was forced to use the air name of 'Johnny Rogue' by the station manager.  Worked at WINX in '65 and '66 and moved onto WEAM in '67.  My very first radio job was at WHMC a brand new daytime station only in an unheard of place in the country of Montgomery County...Gaithersburg.
I would love to hear from old friends in the DC area especially those who worked in broadcasting or were listeners of mine during the days at WINX and WEAM.
Today and for the past 35+ years have lived in Cherry Hill, NJ.  My contact is
Bob Silverman (Radio air names: Bob Earl, Johnny Rogue, Bobby Mitchell)

Dear Deb,  
        Memories,  so many good ones,  like the Christmas decorations in the downtown store windows,  the animations were fantastic!   Also, remember well the snow storms riding the streetcar to the end of the line and back to get home. The "submarine races" at the Tidal Basin, Glen Echo trolley and rollercoaster,  the Wilson Line cruises to Marshall Hall and also Moonlight cruises.   Does anyone remember when Elvis Presley appeared on the Wilson Line?  It never left the dock for some reason.  Going to the dances where Jimmy Dean and his band  played music?  I was born in Northwest D.C. and attended Sacred Heart school & Academy went to New York City for senior class trip!  The Tivoli and Savoy theaters on 14th street.  also, Murphy's 5&10, Peoples drugstore on the corner of 14th.& Park Rd,  Riggs National Bank on the other.  Remember the  Medical Museum oh so interesting!  and of course the Smithsonian,  full of interesting sites.  The National Zoo,  the Capital & Palace theaters downtown which had celebrities appearing in person before the movie.  Going roller-skating at the Kalarama or Bladensburg rinks.  

There was always something to do like going to the Queens Chapel drive-in to watch movies,  or cruisen the Mighty  Mo or Tops for the sandwiches which were oh soooo good!!  Eddie Leonards,  and who could forget the Little Tavern hamburgers for only 10 cents.  My hubby, Joe,  3 of his brothers and 1 of his sisters lived at 9th. & C st. S.E., he remembers going to the dances on Wednesday night at the Friendship House and riding the old Friendship bus to play baseball.  Hanging out at Peoples drugstore at 7th. & Pa. Ave S.E. where his mom worked, his brother Larry was an usher at the Penn Theater.   He and his brother  would ride the trolley under the Capitol to the House Office Bldg. and getting  chased  out of the fountain in front of the Capitol by the police.  Climbing all over the statues, going to  Union Station at night just to fool around and getting your picture taken 4 for 25 cents.  Does anyone remember Office Simmons, he would take you back to your parents when he caught you hooking school.  If anyone is interested in getting together for a reunion for meeting old friends and having fun, they have a reunion every year at the Cedarville State Park, the first weekend after Labor day.

My wife and I were born and raised within two blocks of each other in northwest Washington, D.C. in the mid and late 20�s.

We remember the moonlight cruises to Marshall Hall and the trolley rides to Glen Echo.  That old rickety roller coaster was something else.

How about the walks to the Hot Shoppes?  There was one on Georgia Avenue at either Farragut or Gallatin Street.  That one was frequented by the students of Theodore Roosevelt High School (my wife�s alma mater).  There was also one out Georgia Avenue at Piney Branch Road (?) that was frequented by the students of Calvin Coolidge High School (my alma mater).

Both of us remember the blackouts during World War II.  I served as a runner in the Civil Defense Corps.  One of our duties was to walk around in the pitch black looking to make sure that all windows were sealed from any light leakage.  Another duty of the runner was to take messages back and forth between various headquarters.

I served in the ROTC unit at Calvin Coolidge High School which served me well when I enlisted in the army upon graduation in February, 1946.

As I look back over growing up in Washington, D.C., it becomes obvious that I was very fortunate.  So much happened in those days and Washington was always the center of it so we were always a part of history being made.

How many remember the White Tower and the Little Tavern Hamburger Shoppes?  Yes, hamburgers for a nickel and WERE THEY GOOD?  Yum Yum!!!

One of the reminisces asked about the name of the burlesque theater that was on 9th Street between F and G Streets.  It was the Gayety Theater (I think I spelled it right).  I remember that it was in the same block as Bergmann�s Laundry (which, incidentally, was the Washington Redskins home office).  I would go down there to hang out in order to get autographs of the football players.  My mother gave me you know what for being in such a neighborhood. 

One of my coaches in high school was Bob Masterson.  He played end for the Washington Redskins.  Do you remember Sammy Baugh, Wee Willie Wilkin, Andy Farkas and others?  I attended the very first Redskins game played in Washington, D.C. in 1937.  I earned money in those days collecting newspapers and magazines and taking them to a junk yard on Georgia Avenue near the old Griffith Stadium.  I remember getting twenty-five cents per hundred pounds; but, if I remember correctly, a general admission ticket cost less than a dollar.

I also saved money to go to the Washington Senator baseball games.  Remember them � �Washington, first in war, first in peace and last in the American League.�  Yes, I remember Mickey Vernon, Stan Spence and George Case.  They, and others, were my role models.  Dutch Leonard, the great knuckleballer, was the uncle of a schoolmate of mine and I had the good fortune to see a real knuckleball up close and personal.  How could anyone forget going to Griffith Stadium for a night game when they were baking at the Continental Banking Company Bakery?  I�m sure that the smell from the bakery caused us to buy more hot dogs than we needed.

I, too, delivered the Washington Post in the morning and the Herald or News in the afternoon.  I also sold the Saturday Evening Post, Liberty and other magazines from door to door.

When I went to pick up my newspapers on Georgia Avenue right near Kennedy Street at 4:00 or 4:30 in the morning, I would buy a real Kosher dill pickle at a store where my papers were left off.  The pickle cost a nickel and was it good?

While I was a student at Calvin Coolidge High School in 1945 (I think), we had an undefeated, untied and unscored on season until the ninth or tenth game of the season.  I believe that it was Western High School that scored twelve points on us in a tie game.

I do remember the train windows at Christmas time at Kann�s Department Store.  I had a train set that my Dad bought for me before he died in 1931 and I could only dream that I could have such a set-up as was in their window.

My Mother had a ritual every Sunday evening to park downtown on F Street between Twelfth and Thirteenth Streets to go �window shopping.�  We would walk from the car down F Street to Fourteenth Street, cross F Street and backtrack to Twelfth Street, cross F Street again and walk back to the car.  How many of you remember the BIG polar bear that was always in front of Zlotnick�s Furrier?

I remember the beggar with the monkey that was always panhandling on F Street.

How many wonderful days were spent at the Smithsonian Institution?  I think that you could go there every day of your life and still have more to see.  When I was quite young, I remember that they had a glass sided bee hive with a glass tunnel arrangement to the outside.  You could stand there and watch the bees going and coming with their loads of honey.  That really fascinated me and created a lifelong interest in bee keeping.

The Washington Zoo was another place that drew us as young folks.

Rock Creek Park was a place of real wilderness right in the heart of town.  In the summer time we rode our bikes over to the park.  We loved to ride through the fords where the road crossed the creek.  We usually entered along side the old McMillan Reservoir (near 16th Street and Kennedy Street) that was covered over in the 30�s or early 40�s.  We would go down that winding road (Snake Hill) into the park.  Our Scoutmaster took us to the park on many Friday night scout meetings to just learn all we could about nature.

I also served as a Sea Scout when I was a junior or senior in high school.  We met at the Anacostia Navy Base.

Saturday mornings were good to ride bikes or to take the bus to the Washington Monument.  I remember trying to run all the way up the stairs.  I can�t remember if I ever succeeded but it was fun trying.

Students had three cent bus tickets but I think they were only good on school days.

Remember transfers?  You could get on the bus or streetcar and go for what seemed forever by using the transfers.

We used to ride our bikes to the Chain Bridge and cross over into Virginia and then ride up to Great Falls where we would scamper around the falls on the rocks.

How great it was to be able to do all of those things without having any concern for your safety.

Many weekends we drove down to Beverley or Triton Beach on the Chesapeake Bay to go swimming.  There was always the picnic lunch which was so delicious after a round of swimming.  But always � �No swimming until an hour after you eat.�

The Ice Cream Shoppe at the University of Maryland was one of the most wonderful places in the world.  They always had something to tweak you interest and to whet your appetite.

The Polar Bear on upper Georgia Avenue was another neat place to go if you wanted soft serve ice cream.

I do remember the Kennedy and the Colony and the Sheridan movie theaters.  What exciting times we had at the Saturday matinees.

When my wife and I were courting, we often went to the Starlight Roof of the Roger Smith Hotel (just west of the White House on Pennsylvania Avenue) where we enjoyed a wonderful evening of dining and dancing.

We also remember the big bands that played in Washington at the D.C. Armory.

I have had such a wonderful time reading all of your reminisces that I just had to add my two cents worth.

Lester B. Davis

What a great web page!  The more I read the more I knew I would have to recall my own memories of Washington, DC.  I did not think anyone would mention so many places that are in my memory, but I sure was surprised. 
I grew up in the northwest and northeast parts of town.  In 1939 I went to Calvert Catholic grade school up the street from St. Mathews cathedral.  This is when we lived at 1744 Church Street, NW next to a large building that was a dance studio for children.  I think it was called the Playhouse.  At 18th and Church Streets was the church FDR attended.  We then moved to 2318 Fourth St. NE where I attended Emory grade school and Langley Jr. High.  Our home was not far from 4th and Rhode Island Ave.  I clearly remember Beacons Pharmacy which was right on the corner.  Farther down 4th St. was the 5 and 10 cent store, Crown Drug Store and Safeway grocery store.  Back then, Safeway was called "Sanitary Grocery Store".  I served the Evening and Sunday Star newspaper and had 140 "serves".  My best buddy, Tom Lerch, served the Times Herold and on Sunday, if we had any papers left over we would sell them and then go to Hagen's Bakery at 4th street down from our house and buy honey dipped donuts and soft drinks.  Our record was one dozen donuts each. Wow! 
There was a mention of Wonder Bread.  But do you remember Bond Bread, Bambi Bread and Pick Temple singing "My Favorite Breads Heidi"?  4th and Bryant and 3rd and Bryant was where  all my friends lived and we all spent a lot of time at Edgewood playground.  So many folks mentions Peoples Drug Store.  My first full time job at 15 years of age was as a "soda jerk" at Peoples in the NE neighborhood.  It was close enough to Catholic University that we had both students and professors come in and get a great sandwich and a shake.  I wonder how many of you who said they went to Peoples soda fountain was a customer of mine.  O later got a big promotion to the cigar counter at the Peoples at 19th and Pennsylvania NW.  That was the same building in which Dolly Madison lived while the White House was being repaired after the Brits burned it down.
My next job was at the National Capital Bank at 316 Pennsylvania Ave. SE.  I wonder if it is still there.  My wife and I have lived in Cave Creek, Arizona outside of Phoenix for the past 36 years but in 1989 we visited Washington and drove up Capitol Hill to try to find the bank, but got lost.  The neighborhood we wound up in was so depressing.  All the homes were rotting on their foundations.  They looked like those old barnes you see out in the country ready to fall over.  So sad!  But I digress.  The Polar Bear Frozen Custard on Georgia Ave. has good memories.  My girl friend's mother worked there.  I, too, remember Milt Grant, but do you remember his brother Felix Grant?  He was a DJ and played mostly jazz.  Speaking of music, I wound up working for Campbell Music Company.  Their main store was in the heart of downtown at 12th and G Streets NW.  I worked at the Bethesda, Seven Corners and Tysons Corner brances.  Does anyone remember driving over the Key bridge and smelling the horrible order in the area?  There was a sign, I think on a flour mill building, which read in part "The odors you may notice in the area do not originate at this plant.  
When I worked at Peoples, one of the clerks at the prescription counter was a substitute organist at the Capitol for Milt Schlosser.  He took me back stage one night to see the workings of the big curtain, etc. and apparently there is a superstition in show biz that you must play a trick on someone who is a first timer back stage. I was told to sit on a bench and be very quiet.  I heard people saying "are we ready" and before I could look up I received a shock from the bench on which I was sitting.  Great laughs were had by all except me.  And of course I remember the orchestra leader at the Capitol, Sam Jack Kaufman.  How about the radio DJ who billed himself as "The mayor of Connecticut Avenue, Jackson Lowe".  Hardin and Weaver were great radio personalities, also.  Jackson Weaver was the voice of Smokey the Bear.
This sight and all its contributors have brought back some wonderful memories.  I hope that I have contributed some.
Some closing random thoughts.  To VI; The theatre on 9th Street you asked about was called the Gaiety or Gayety, not that I ever went there.....During WWII both my mother and grandfather worked at the Mayflower Hotel.  Great theatres downtown, but the Uptown Theatre at Porter St. and Connecticut Ave. was great for showing the "newest" technology called Cinerama.  Great department stores downtown also including but not mentioned was the Palace Royal pronounced Pala (sp) Royal.  Small shops were excellent, too, like the University Shop at 13th and G streets NW and the Young Mens Shop in the same area.  I wonder if Mazor Masterpieces Furniture Store is still around.
When I was attending Emory Elementary in NE I was a paper trouper.  I got a blue and yellow badge for bringing old newspapers to school.  Anyone remember that?  When I was 16 years old I had the greatest comic book collection.  Action comics including #1, Superman, Captain Marvel, etc., etc.  I gave all of them to Walter Reed Hospital.  While we can never repay the debt to the soldiers there I sure hope they enjoyed the comic books.  Wish I had kept just a few.
Wouldn't it be great to hear from some of the people I knew from the 40's and 50's.  My name is John Marshall and since I am a big John Wayne fan, our grand kids call me Grandpa Duke, hence our e-mail,  If I thought longer and harder I could come up with more great memories but thanks for listening and so long for now..... 

Hi - 


I was born in Washington, DC at the old Garfield Hospital.  I am told it is a parking lot now.  My family moved to the Four Corners area of Silver Spring when I was about 9 months old (1946).  I remember all the old �clubs� in Washington, Benny�s, Rands, the Speakeasy, The Starlite Lounge.  Roller skating at the Capital

Area off Georgia.  The Frozen Custard stand at Colesville and East West Highway, HL Greenes Five & Dime.  Jelleff�s, Holiday Shoes.  I even worked at the Silver Theater (which has been beautifully restored). 


This is de ja vue for me because after living in Frederick, MD since 1978 I now work in Silver Spring across from the Metro (where Frozen Custard used to be).  When I first came to work in Silver Spring I worked in the building that replaced Hahn Shoe Store on the corner of Colesville and Georgia (coincidentally it is the first place I worked part time I Silver Spring).


I went to private school, but had many friends that graduated from Blair, Northwood and even High Point.


I remember cruising the Hot Shoppe in both Silver Spring and Wheaton with my friends and the dances at the old Silver Spring armory.


My brother�s best friend was a regular on the Milt Grant Show so I got to go a few times.  WOW what memories.


Does anyone remember Cousin Nicks across from the old car barn??


I will continue to visit this website and read all the great stuff.



I am 53 the youngest of 9 and was born at Columbia hospital.  I grew up in Tenley Town (near Friendship Playground)  went to St. Ann's, and Holy Trinity in G'town.  I have 3 brothers and 5 sisters, the boys went to St. Anthony's, Mackin and St. Johns.The girls all went to Notre Dame.  The best friends and times of my life were made in DC.  6 of my siblings still live in DC and my mom lived in our house for 60 some years until she passed away in 2000 at the age of 87.  I worked at FDIC down on 17th Street, NW for 25 years.
My parents were also born in DC on Q St. in NE.  My mom went to Notre Dame and my dad went to Gonzaga.  They grew up across the street from eachother.  My dad was a reporter for the Post.
My husband Donald is also from DC, Sherrier Pl., NW right across the street car tracks  from of Palasaides Playground and born in the Old Georgetown hospital.  He went to Key, Gordon and Dematha.  Played football, (was recruited by Morgan Wooten in his 2d year of coaching at Dematha) he also played basketball and was outstanding weightlifter, outstanding lineman and made first team for the Santa Claus bowl at the Boy Club across the street from Gordon Jr. High school.  Both of his parents were from DC as well (Georgetown) they both went to Western High School.  His dad owned a shoe repair store in Georgetown right on the 1400 block of Wisconsin Avenue.  Donald's older brother went to Western HS and married his high school sweetheart he has two sisters that went to Our Lady of Victory and Holy Trinity and two younger brothers that went to OLV and went to Congressional Prep and St. Johns
Glenn Echo Park was a big part of both of our lives as well as the DC recreation department playgrounds.
I'm happy to say we still have several friends we grew up with in DC and wouldn't change it for anything.  It was the BEST.

I live in Richmond Va. I roller skated at the Cavalier Arena here in Richmond Va. The year 1944. We didn't owned auto's then, we were to young. A skater name Pop Roberts use to charge us $10.00 each. HE would pile six of us in his auto and take us to the Riverside Roller rink in D C.  We all did Dances on skates with some of the D C skaters, sometimes they would come to Richmond to skate the dances with us. Boy did we have fun. I hear that the Kennedy center is on the property where Riverside use to be. Is this true?
    We danced Tangos, Waltzes, Fox Trots Marches and many others. The live organ music was great.  
                                                                             John Donati
                                                                              2614 Hilliard rd
                                                                               Richmond Va 23228
                                                                   A memory I will never forget
                                                                            God Bless

I was born at the Columbia Hospital for Women in  August 1947� I was born on  39th Street in Georgetown�but the 1st residence I remember was in the Palisades on Sherier Pl�. I attended FS Key ES from K- half way thru 3rd grade�.  The Glen Echo streetcar ran in the front of our house and we would put our pennies on the tracks to get flattened�. Bought all my Topps baseball cards (�56-�57 series)  at the Drug store near the DGS at the corner of  Dana Pl & MacArthur Blvd�.thanks mom for never throwing them out�.


Moved to  43xx Harrison St just West. of Wisconsin Ave so my father could literally walk out the back door and  pick up his bus at the Western Div car/bus barn (Capital/DC Transit) for his morning rush hour run down Connecticut Ave in his L-4  to Federal Triangle and back to Chevy Chase Circle; Picking up his uniforms from Tolman Laundry.


Growing up in Tenleytown

-         Janney ES; Alice Deal; Woodrow Wilson HS�..

-         Lunchtime at Janney meant Hot dogs and Home made Donuts on the 3rd floor of Sears Roebuck.

-         Joe Gould�s Variety shop for daily ration of  red laces licorice (still my favorite 50yrs later);  

-         Waffle Shop waffles and fries;

-         Van Sant�s Pharmacy soda fountain for Vanilla and Cherry cokes;

-         Cruising the drive up Hot Shoppes (�I�ll  have an Orange Freeze- Mighty Mo & Hot fudge Ice Cream cake�) on Connecticut Ave

-          Eating  dinners  with my mom and dad  at the CockRobin (Brother Gus) Inn at Wisc and Jennifer�our family favorites- Crisfields in  Silver Spring..and Peking�s  at Conn and  McKinley st.

-         the Xmas decorated channel 9 tower; The Xmas decorations at the  Woodies at Friendship Hgts  and  in the Sears basement Toy Dept��

-         Sledding in the snow�.. down Fort Reno hill  to Belt Rd�- highest elevation in DC�.What a ride!!!!

-         Dalmo�s/Rodmans- the 1st  �Discount� stores

-         Collecting Top Value stamps�those books were all over the house.

-         The Uptown Citizen;

-         Going to the  movies at the Apex theatre  in Spring Valley- taking the D6 bus  to the Avalon theatre�.the Uptown & Calvert theatres�..Big treat- taking the 30 streetcar downtown to see Peter Pan and Ol� Yeller at the RKO Keith�s Theatre.

-         Playing  baseball at Friendship playground- Fort Bayard park�Jelleffs Boys Club�WW�.and  every night in the summer at Harry�s Field behind the 42nd St Safeway;  

-         Mitchells Sport Shop to buy my green WW Letterman jacket.. (Mr Sklar just passed away recently)�

-         Taking the Cross Town bus at Tenley Circle to Georgia Ave and transfer to the streetcar to Griffith stadium baseball games;  

-         Standing on the corner of Wisc Ave (11/23/1963)  watching in a crowd as the Grey  Navy hearse goes  by carrying the casket of JFK to Navy Medical� with Jackie�still in her pink dress�.

-         And�..The adrenalin rush every time we heard the sirens and horns of another  B-CC Rescue Squad vehicle come down Wisconsin Ave. �. cross the District line into DC�. for yet�..another mission of mercy.



Dan Morrison

703 671- 5623

Hi Deb,
I grew up in the DC area in Alexandria.  Born in 1953 and lived there until I was 25.  I remember so much of the things people mentioned but I had forgotten.  It is amazing how much you can remember when your memory has been jolted. I actually sat down and read all 14 pages.  I loved DC and was very unhappy when I left there.  I used to love going to the Art Museum the Mall, Georgetown etc.  I remember Little Tavern Hamburgers, seeing bands at the roller rink in Alexandria, Fort Belvoir. 
I loved the Georgetown night life (70's) going to the Bayou, and the Crazyhorse, Pall Mall.  Made lots of friends in those places but I lost touch when I moved. 
Any way I really enjoyed remembering.  I have been to Alexandria in the past year for a funeral and it is nothing like it used to be. I understand a lot of places are gone and that is sad and it also makes me feel old. Any one who may remember those times can email me at  By the way my name is Bonnie

Love the site.
I remember driving to work at the Pentagon, and listening to "Murphy in the Morning" on WMOD and then on WEEL.  He used to raise hell at local politicians, vepco and vdot.  He was one of the funniest people I have ever heard on the radio.  He made working at the Pentagon tolerable.  I got to meet him at the opening of a motorcycle shop at Tysons Corner (before it was a shopping mecca) and he turned out to be really nice guy.  What ever happened to Murphy in the Morning?  I also remember the headache of them building Route 66 from 495 to Manassas.  Could they have found any dumber contractors?

Do YOU have any memories of D.C.? If so, please e-mail me and I will add them to this page.